AFP cancers markers are down from 78,000 to 67,000 and the cancerous section of the large mass has definitely reduced in size. This is all GOOD news! (although to keep it real, I should mention a normal AFP reading is less than 500 and having NO mass growing in your abdomen is really quite a good thing, so we do have a ways to go, but good is good!)
There’s disagreement amongst the leaders, of the broader team, as to whether we should proceed with Round 3 of chemo or go for surgery now. Prof feels one more round of chemo is the way to go, since the numbers are coming down and the cancer finally seems to be responding to the chemo. However, other members of the team said, “Let’s get the bloody thing out of there!” (Ummm, I may be over using my paraphrasing abilities a bit.)
At this point it looks like Round 3, however This Friday’s AFP count will be the deciding factor. If the AFP goes up or does not come down at least a little more, Prof may rethink his decision to go with Round 3 and move forward with the surgery, now. If they come down, Round 3.
So Arielle’s immediate future is up in the air. She’s preparing for around 3 mentally and emotionally. After all she knows better than anyone that 5 consecutive days of chemo will kick your ass, and preparation is required.
I’m in Dover this week, and today it was like Arielle was her old self again. She’s animated, talkative, funny, eating well, even mouthy and sarcastic! That’s my girl!
So for now, we’ll again, hope for the best and prepare for the worst.